I attended the PyCon Australia 2016 Education seminar held on 12th August at Melbourne, Australia. I loved the energy of the seminar and was great to hear about all the ways educators in Australia are using Python for their teaching. Here are some notes I took, which I also link with the videos. You can find all the videos here.
Python at Monash
- Faculty of IT
- Python close to pseudocode
- Jupyter Notebooks
- Jupyter Hub installation at Monash
Keynote: Smart City - From earth to mars and back
- Find a social mission
- Teaching isn't easy
- Programming isn't easy, it's new
- Grok learning, interactivepython.org, coursera, codecadaemy..
- Emphasise the fundamentals, don't assume anything, be explicit
Python with Minecraft
- Get kids excited
- Consumers to creators
- Groklearning Microbit
Teaching Geometry using Logo/Python turtle module
- Don't teach subjects in silos
- Show students you can do real useful stuff with programming
- Turtle powered Geometry
- Grok learning lessons (turtle in your browser)
Find this post useful? Please share.